I'm Starting Over!

Have you ever wished you could have a do over in life? I mean, if I could just start all over from the beginning things would really be different in my life. Someone once said to me, “Live each day so you have no regrets tomorrow.” I wish now I had paid more attention to such sage advice.
I must admit, I’ve done some things in life that I regret doing. I’ve acted in ways that were unbecoming to me and others. I’ve treated others badly. I’ve been way too critical and judgmental of others. I’ve been too self-centered, concerned only with my own well being and not the well being of others. Finding fault with others, yep I’m guilty. I could go on but I think you get the point!
Have you ever heard someone say, “If only when I was younger I would have known what I know now, things would be way different in my life?” If I know anything about humans, you no doubt have said, or at least thought, the same thing.
Here’s kind of what it sounds like when we start looking back over our lives and taking a real hard look at what we’ve done, where we’ve been, and what we have accomplished with our lives. See if you can identify with any of these statements:
  • I wouldn’t make the same bad choices, or do some of the things I have done.
  • wouldn’t have associated with some of the people I did because they were toxic to my life.
  • I would have handled finances differently if I could just go back to yesteryear.
  • I wouldn’t have treated others that were important to me the way I did.
  • My priorities would have been different if I could just go back.
  • I wouldn’t have burned some of the bridges I burned.
  • I wouldn’t have just lived as if I were going to live forever.
  • I would have been more intentional with my life.
  • If I could just go back I would treat my body better. I would eat right, get more exercise, and more rest.
  • I wouldn’t have taken some of the foolish chances that I took.
  • If I could just go back I would show more compassion, be more merciful, extend kindness more, been concerned with others and help them with their struggles.
  • I would forgive more.
  • I would love more.
  • I would be more grateful.
Unfortunately, none of us can go back to our childhoods and start over. However, that doesn’t mean things are hopeless. No. In fact we can start over. It doesn’t matter how many mistakes you’ve made, how many times you have blown it, how many times you have fallen down. What separates “True Christianity” from all other world religions is God gives us the ability to start over.
First, starting over begins with a recognition and admittance on your part that you need to start over. Most people are too proud to admit they need a do over.
Second, you need to make the decision to start over. Everything in life hinges on the choices and decisions you make. It is impossible to start over until you make the decision to do so.
Third, you need to repent. To repent means to have a change of mind, a change your heart, and a change of attitude. It means to get rid of the “stinkin thinkin” that’s brought you to where you are right now. To repent is to renew your mind to how God feels about you, what Jesus did for you at the cross, and who God says you are in Christ. (More on this later in another posting.)
Fourth, you’ve admitted you need to start over, you’ve made the decision to start over, you are beginning to change the way you think, now you need to have a made up mind that you are going forward in a new way. Don’t allow anything to distract, dissuade, or discourage you from following through on your new path.
Fifth, ask God for help. He is willing and able to assist you in starting over.
Sixth, find someone you can trust and allow them to mentor and coach you as you move forward.
Seventh, don’t stop. Even if you fall down, get back up. When it seems like you aren’t making any progress don’t give up.
Conclusion: We should all strive to be all that God intends us to be. My strongest desire is to be the man God made me to be. To do the work God has called me to do. To lift and encourage others that are struggling in their lives. To be a better husband to Holly and a better father to all my children. To exemplify Jesus in my life. To not be judgmental or critical of others that may have lost their way. I want to offer hope to the hopeless and help to the helpless. I want to turn my pain into power for the purpose of ministering God’s love, mercy, and grace to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...