I’ve Got A Lot of Stuff, Am I A Success?


I think for the most part we have a skewed view of what true success really is. The common thought in our culture is that success is defined by what we have. Big houses, fancy cars, designer clothes, lots of money in the bank, community prestige, a big title after our name and so on. But is this really success? While having “stuff” is fine, I don’t believe that is what defines whether a person is successful or not. Jesus said, “A man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of things he possesses.” Obviously Jesus had a different perception of success than most Americans, Christians included. It’s sad but most Christians have bought into the same “materialistic lie” the rest of the world has. Some of the most miserable people I’ve ever met have lots of stuff but are living unproductive, unfulfilled lives.
Perhaps the best definition of success I’ve ever come across is this. “Success is the progressive realization of a God-given goal and purpose.” In other words, success is living on intentionally. Success is not quitting when the going gets tough. It’s not giving up when everyone around you says you’re finished. It’s not living your life based on the opinions of others who have no idea what you’ve gone through; all they’ve seen is the outside stuff. It is getting up one more time than you get knocked down.
It’s funny to me how judgmental we are at times. Especially so called Christians. We are just as guilty of judging others by what we see on the outside as the rest of the world. If I am not mistaken the Bible says “Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.” I think He could care the less about the stuff others see when they look at you. He is only concerned with what’s in your heart. His only concern is are you doing what you were created you to do.
I know firsthand what it feels like to judge. I’ve done my share. I’ve had to repent. I’ve learned that regardless of what a person has done or experienced, if the Bible is correct, God is not through with them yet. He still loves them, He is still concerned about them, and He will go to the ends of the earth if necessary to redeem and restore them. The Apostle Paul wrote, “The gifts and callings of God are without repentance.” He never changes His mind as to what He has created you to do. He will never give up on you. So don’t give up on yourself.
I also understand what it feels like to be judged by others who don’t know the whole story. Maybe that’s why I have repented of judging others. Dr Edwin Louis Cole said something one time that rocked my world. He said, “We judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions.” Nothing could be truer.
I’ll admit I’ve had my share of setbacks, who hasn’t? I’ve made my share of mistakes, who hasn’t? I’ve been knocked down and I’ve fallen down, sometimes because of stupid things I’ve done, other times because of stupid things others have done, who hasn’t? But in all of this I take the position the Apostle Paul took when he said, “This one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are before, I press toward the goal of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” God never calls us downward. He always calls us upward. Micah of old wrote these words, “Rejoice not over O’ me my enemy. When I fall down I shall arise. When I sit in darkness the Lord shall cause His light to surround me.”
Success is not equated to never making a mistake or experiencing a failure. We would all say Thomas Edison was a success, yet he failed in over 10,000 attempts to develop a filament for the light bulb. He was a success because he refused to quit. Abraham Lincoln failed in starting his own business and in running for several political offices. Yet he didn’t quit. He tried again, this time for the highest office in the land. He won the election and became perhaps the greatest President our country has ever known. You might say he was a success.
I guess what I would like to get across in this posting is this; it’s easy to get the wrong perception of what is truly success. Don’t buy into the lies of the enemy, the skeptic, the fault finder, the critical, or the negaholic, as to what is true success. If you’ve been knocked down, get up. If you’ve failed try again. If you’ve made a mistake, get over it, and get back on track. Live your purpose. Follow your God-given dreams. If you are living on purpose, and making progress towards the goals God has given you, then in God’s eyes you are a success. And His opinion is the only one that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...