An Attitude of Gratitude

Today is Thanksgiving Day. A time we will gather with friends and love ones and enjoy a great meal and each others company. Thanksgiving Day in the United States, is a day we have set aside to show our gratitude for all our blessings in life. Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the good things that we have been privileged to enjoy.

Unfortunately, many people don’t feel they have anything to be faithful for. When you ask then what they are thankful for they have trouble putting it in words. Sadly, all they can see is the negative circumstances they find themselves in and the things they wish they had but don’t. By focusing on your circumstances and what you don’t have you lose perspective of what you do have.

I know on this day, many that read this, make a list of things they are thankful for. If you don’t you should. Something energizing takes place when you take the time to list all the blessings in your life to be thankful for.

As I am writing this blog, I was reminded of a song we used to sing at church when I was a young child. While I may not remember all the words, I remember the gist of it. It simply said, “Count your blessings, Name them one by one, Count your blessings, See what God has done.” That’s a good idea not just one day a year but something we should practice on a daily basis!

Here’s a shortened version of my list:

• I am thankful to be alive and well.

• I am thankful to have the use of my surgically repaired arm.

• I am thankful for my wonderful wife and best friend, Holly.

• I am thankful for our wonderful children.

• I am thankful for all my friends that have stood by me and believed in me.

• I am thankful to live in America, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

• I am thankful for the dreams, desires, and abilities God has endowed me with.

• Last but not least, I am thankful for God’s love, grace, and faithfulness to me.

Perhaps you are going through a tough time, but remember while your circumstances may not be what you like someone is going through something worse. Make the decision today to make everyday a day of Thanksgiving. Being thankful is a choice you make. A common denominator of highly successful people is their attitude of gratitude. An attitude of gratitude is like a muscle, to develop it you have to work it, or you will lose it.

I received an email from Dr. Keith Johnson, the confidence coach, (http://www.theconfidencecoach.com) that gave the following list of seven questions to ask yourself daily to build your attitude of gratitude and confidence which I thought I should share with you in today’s blog post.

1. What am I most happy about in my life now?
2. What am I most excited about in my life now?
3. What am I most proud about in my life now?
4. What am I most grateful about in my life now?
5. What am I enjoying most in my life right now?
6. What am I committed to in my life right now?
7. Who do I love? Who loves me?

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...