The I Am Messiah Syndrome

I was once caught up in what I call the "I Am Messiah" syndrome. I was of the opinion that if something had to be done; I had to do it in order for it to be right. If there were problems that had to be solved, I had to solve them. As a result I ran myself ragged trying to do things that I wasn't qualified to do. Fortunately, I woke up one day and realize that I was not "all knowing" or "all powerful!" I not only couldn't do everything, I wasn't required to.

Unfortunately, I meet a lot of people caught up in the same rat race. They are on the same treadmill that I was on. Always busy but never really accomplishing anything. Always on the go but never going anywhere. This is a fundamental reason why so many people burnout or fizzle out before their time.

The "I am Messiah" syndrome causes people to never fully maximize their potential. It keeps them limited in their accomplishments. As a result they fail to build relationships with people that could lighten their load and help them become more contented in life.

Here are some thoughts I have on breaking free from the "I Am Messiah" syndrome:

Know your limitations.

You can only be one place at a time. You can only do one thing at a time. You'll only be able to do so much. You cannot "save" the world. Go with your gifting and skills. Quit trying to do things you don’t know how to do. For instance, if you are good at fixing computers it doesn’t mean you are good at fixing automobiles. If your car needs repairs you are better off finding someone who is skilled in that area than to try to do it yourself.

Know your strengths and weaknesses.
Admit it, there are some things you're good at, and there are other things that you're not so good at. Capitalize on your strengths. Develop them. Hone your skills. Become the best you can be, as the person you were created to be.

Network with others.

Find people who are strong where you're weak, and enlist their assistance. Two are better than one. Get people involved in your life. It is amazing how quick people are to assist you, if you only ask. You also need to learn how to delegate tasks to others and then allow them to do them.

Recognize that you don't know everything.
This is essential to lifetime success. People who are know it all's, have trouble learning, adapting, and excelling in life. Life is an ongoing learning experience. Allow those that are experts in areas you aren’t, teach, train, and mentor you.

Learn to say no.

Quit trying to do everything others want you to do. Set guidelines for the type of assignments you will and will not accept. Only agree to do those things that you know you can get done and can do your best. Don’t allow yourself to be caught up in trying to please others by taking on responsibilities you aren’t qualified to do or don’t have the time to do.

Realize you can't save the world.

You can only do so much to affect positive change in the world. If everyone would simply do what they can do to make the world a better place to live, how much better we all would be.

Don't compare yourselves to others.

One reason so many people get caught up doing things they are not qualified to do is because they are trying to keep up with those around them. Unfortunately, this will lead only to frustration. The fact of the matter is you may not have the same qualifications, desires, and vision that others have. Be the person God created you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...